We hope this reading week gives you a warm, relaxing break from classes! Some things to keep in mind as we head towards the end of the semester:
- Plebeian is looking for Associate and Copy Editors for our upcoming edition. To find out more and to apply, head over to the Plebeian section of our website. Applications are open until November 13th!
- The lounge will be closed during Reading Week!
- The High School Open House is happening on November 15th in LI009 at 2pm. To find out more and to RSVP, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Fall Academic Seminar will be on November 22nd. Check back in after Reading Week for our GRAND REVEAL!
Welcome and welcome back, Classicists! Here’s what’s coming up this fall for undergraduate Classics students:
First Year Event
Are you a first-year or new to Classics? If you are interested in finding out more about the department and looking to meet other Classics students, come on out to this event! We’ll be having food, games, and general merriment on Friday, September 13th at 1pm in the CLASSU undergraduate lounge, LI009 (basement of Lillian Massey, a POV tour of how to get there is available on our Instagram highlight (@classicsstudentsunion))!
Democracy and free food? Cake? On Thursday, September 19th at 6:30pm in LI009we will be electing six more senators to the senate! CLASSU is looking for a first year representative as well as our all-new second year representative to add to the team. Head over to the Elections tab for details on how to run and a copy of the nomination form!
Graduate School Info Session
Are you considering graduate school? We’re having a panel discussion with professors of Classics at the UofT followed by Honesty Hour with graduate students. The date is changing due to a conflict with an event at UTM. More details soon to come; stay updated through our Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter!
Do feel as though you possess the necessary editing and leadership skills to take on the role of Editor-in-Chief for Plebeian (Vol.VI)? If so, apply for the 2019-2020 year.
The EIC’s role includes:
• Oversight over the entire publication process of Plebeian
• Setting timelines for editor applications, paper submissions, and drafts
• Hiring Editors and running meetings with the Editing Team
• Reading and ranking of all paper submissions
• Checking over the quality of edits made by individual editing pairs to ensure proper quality
• Settling disputes, and, if necessary appointing replacements
• Design, layout, and formatting of the journal
• Delivery of the final product to the Senate
• Copy editing
• Promoting and advertising the calls for papers and editors in conjunction with the Senate
If you believe this to be a good fit for you, please fill out the application below and submit it to email@example.com by SATURDAY, JUNE 1ST.
Plebeian EIC Application 2019-20
The department is currently offering bursaries for summer courses in Greek and Latin. LAT101, LAT102, LAT201, Lat202, GRK101, and GRK102 will be offered this summer and the department is providing some bursaries to assist interested students in taking them! Click here for detailed information, including how to qualify and apply.
“The Department is especially interested in furthering the language study of students from underrepresented groups. In order to assist in enrolling in these courses, we offer bursaries in the range of $ 1,500 (one term) to $ 3,000 (two terms) to cover tuition and more, for deserving students both from the U of T and from other institutions.”
We will be holding by-elections on Thursday, January 31st at 4:30pm in LI009 (the CLASSU Lounge, in the basement of the Lillian Massey Building). We are looking to elect one (1) senator to serve from January 31st to March 29th: students in all years are welcome to run! Ideal candidates will be available between 10am and 11am or 11am and 12pm on Mondays during the current semester. However, candidates who are not available then are still qualified to run.
Join us for democracy and free food! Further details, as well as the nomination form, can be found here.
Please submit your papers now to be published in Volume V of Plebeian! The deadline is January 18, 2019 and you can find more information HERE.
Do you have editing experience? An interest in publishing and editing? Then apply now to be the Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Plebeian, CLASSU’s student-run journal of undergraduate work. Applications can be found HERE and are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 9th, 2018. More information about Plebeian and PDFs of all past volumes can be found at the “Plebeian” tab of this website.
Welcome to a new school year! A few updates about upcoming CLASSU events and initiatives!
- First year orientation and tour
- Elections! Come out for Democracy, food, and general Good Times(tm)! Nomination forms and more information about elections can be found under the elections tab.
- Signups for the CLASSU peer-mentorship program are now open! This program provides support for students in their first year or new to Classics, Classical Civilizations, Latin, or Greek. New students will be paired with an upper-year student with similar interests. Both mentors and mentees can sign up HERE.
- Want Classics Merch? Let us know what you would be interested in buying HERE.
- Stay tuned for updates to the Latin Metre-Reading
- If you have editing experience or are interested in acquiring it, applications for Deputy Editor in Chief and Associate Editors of our journal Plebeian will be available soon!
Do you have ample editing experience, and want to use it to lead the publication of next year’s Plebeian (Vol.V)? If so, apply NOW to be the Editor-in-Chief for 2018-19! The EIC is responsible for:
- Oversight over the entire publication process of Plebeian
- Setting timelines for editor applications, paper submissions, and drafts
- Hiring Editors and running meetings with the Editing Team
- Reading and ranking of all paper submissions
- Checking over the quality of edits made by individual editing pairs to ensure proper quality
- Settling disputes, and, if necessary appointing replacements
- Design, layout, and formatting of the journal
- Delivery of the final product to the Senate
- Copy editing
- Promoting and advertising the calls for papers and editors in conjunction with the Senate
If you think that you would be a good fit, fill out the application form below and submit it to email@example.com by TUESDAY, APRIL 17th!
Plebeian EIC Application Form 2018-19